Tips for Pre-screening Patients and Staff for COVID-19
With the current COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic, the task of maintaining and optimising the health of the community is presenting challenges for dental practices around the world.
It may seem obvious to screen your patients for COVID-19 (Coronavirus) before they enter your practice, but it’s also important for dental practices to screen staff before they arrive at work on a daily basis.
Screen your patients and staff
Questions to ask both patients and staff prior to arrival (on the phone) and upon arrival:
- Are you feeling unwell with flu-like symptoms such as fever, cough, shortness of breath or sore throat?
- Do you, or has someone you have had contact with, have a confirmed case of COVID-19?
- Are you, or is someone you have had contact with, currently undergoing testing for COVID-19 and awaiting test results?
- Have you returned from overseas in the last 14 days?
Staff or patients who answer “yes” to any of these questions should be instructed to stay at home and not enter the practice.
You should also place these questions on the homepage of your website and on your practice front door.
Give patients peace of mind
If a patient is not deemed “high-risk” and is safe to attend your practice, it is important to also give them peace of mind that your practice is following strict hygiene protocols.
You may also consider publishing these protocols on your website or social media.
Below is a template that you can use and amend as required.
At <<your practice name>> the health and safety of our patients and staff are paramount.
We have taken the following steps to ensure our patients and staff are safe in relation to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) disease. Our measures to protect staff and patients include:
- Staff or patients who are unwell or deemed “high” risk” will not be allowed to enter the practice
- Strengthening our already strict cleaning and infection control procedures to minimise the risk of infection
- Social distancing measures in our waiting rooms